New Draft LCDs Available for Comment
Cahaba GBA will be receiving comments on the following Draft LCDs from March 1, 2010 through April 15, 2010:
- Pathology and Laboratory: Vitamin D Assay Testing
- Radiology: Computed Tomographic (CT) Colonography
- Radiology: Magnetic Resonance Angiography of the Head and Neck
Key points from the draft policies are:
- Screening for Vitamin D deficiency is not covered. The policy includes a list of covered indications and diagnosis codes.
- CT colonography is only indicated:
- In those patients in whom an instrument colonoscopy of the entire colon is incomplete due to an inability to pass the colonoscope proximally, due to one of the following:
o An obstructing neoplasm
o Scarring or aberrant anatomy with obstruction from prior surgery, radiation, diverticular disease
o Extrinsic compression
This is intended for use in pre-operative situations when knowledge of the unvisualized colon proximal to the obstruction would be of use to the surgeon in planning the operative approach to the patient.
- When ordering physician determines and documents instrument colonoscopy cannot be safely attempted. Such contraindications may include severe coagulopathy, increased sedation risk, etc.
- MRA of the Head and Neck is used to verify the need for anticipated surgery and the only covered diagnosis code in the draft policy is V72.83, Other specified pre-operative examination.
The draft LCDs can be accessed at Cahaba GBA Draft LCDs