AHA 4th Quarter 2010 RACTrac Survey Results
The American Hospital Association’s (AHA) RACTrac Survey is a free web-based survey that was developed “in response to the lack of data and information provided by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and its Recovery Audit Contractors (RACs) on the impact the program is having on America’s hospitals.” The 4th Quarter 2010 RACTrac Survey Results are now available on the American Hospital Association (AHA) web site.
Key Overall Findings in the 4th Quarter 2010 Survey Results include:
- Over 1,850 hospitals have participated in this survey since data collection began in January of 2010.
- $86 million in denied claims have been reported since the first quarter of 2010.
Key Findings specific to Hospital Survey Participants Region C: (Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands):
- Participating Hospitals reported an increase in RAC Activity from 76% to 78%.
- The Average Value of a Medical Record requested in a Complex Review was $15,681.
- The Average Value of Denials were:
- $408 for Automated Denials
- $5,342 for Complex Denials
- The Top Reason for Automated Denials was Outpatient Billing Error.
- The Top Reason for Complex Denials was Incorrect MS-DRG or Other Coding Error
- For the 4th Quarter Region C Hospitals appealed 10% of their Denials with 57% of the appeals being overturned at a value of $1.1 million.
The entire 4th Quarter Survey Results can be found at RACTrac Survey .
AHA is offering their Quarterly Nationwide RACTrac Webinar on April 6th from 2:00 to 3:30 EST. A link to register for this webinar can also be found at RACTrac Results & Upcoming Webinar .